The City of Dublin is currently seeking an experienced Communications Analyst (Management Analyst-II) to support and implement the City’s public information, media relations, and communications programs. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of success in public relations, communications, or related fields, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills. The Communications Analyst is assigned to the City Manager’s Office/Communications Division and reports to the Communications Manager.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following key elements describe the basic duties and responsibilities of the position:
- Create and implement digital communications/marketing strategies on various communication channels (e.g., websites, social media, blogs, video, audio, e-marketing) that supports the City’s strategic goals and key initiatives.
- Write original content; coordinate, edit, and proofread written contributions from others; and maintain quality, consistency, and relevance.
- Write press releases and prepare information for the media, as needed.
- Prepare and edit organizational materials, including newsletters and other publications for internal and external audiences.
- Draft talking points and letters to the community on behalf of Staff or electeds.
- Gain insight into target audiences, build engagement, and manage a digital communications strategy that drives consistent, relevant traffic and leads to the City’s social networks.
- Develop compelling stories, messages, and visuals through a variety of mediums that attract and engage a digital audience while following the City’s brand standards and communication style guidelines.
- Monitor relevant conversations in social media, tools, and web applications, and represent the City in these conversations as appropriate.
- Continually assess and remediate websites for accuracy; oversee regular review of digital content with subject matter experts to ensure content remains accurate and current; and ensure online content meets legal and compliance requirements.
- Manage timely responses to customers’ and followers’ queries and comments.
- Employ user testing and analytical techniques (based on data, including web traffic, user interactions, search terms and audience demographics), to guide content decisions and improve the usability of the City’s web presence and digital communication channels.
- Analyze and report on performance, trends, and user engagement of various digital communication channels such as, but not limited to, websites, social media channels, video/audio, and marketing tools; gain insight and make necessary adjustments to put toward future communication/marketing strategies.
- Identify key metrics to track, analyze, and provide reports on a regular basis.
- Research how emerging social and digital tools/networks and features can benefit the City.
- Serves as back-up to the Communications Manager during her/his absence as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, majoring in Public Administration, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or in a closely related field is required. A Master's degree in Public Administration, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or in a closely related field is preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of two years of full-time professional experience is required.
- Licenses, Certificates and Special Requirements: Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license and Certificate of Automobile Insurance for Personal Liability is required.
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of assigned programs and functions.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and specialized tools related to publishing, web-based content management systems, and current/emerging social-media platforms.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Principles and techniques to plan, organize, and coordinate local government public relations, communications, and media relations programs.
- Techniques of preparing, producing, and disseminating information to the general public, news media, schools, and the community, utilizing various mediums of communication.
- Preparation and dissemination of information to the press through a variety of communication media, including photography, graphic arts, copy layout, and radio and television programming.
- Principles and techniques of establishing and maintaining good relations with news media and other public groups.
- Principles, techniques, and practices of journalism, expository prose, and editing; preparation, composition, layout, production, and dissemination of educational, informational, and promotional materials.
- State, federal, and local governmental organizations and functions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Interpret and apply applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Apply customer service skills, including the identification of customer needs and follow up, to ensure customer commitments have been met.
- Read, understand, apply, and effectively communicate City rules, regulations, and procedures; and Federal and State regulations.
- Establish and maintain effective relations with the media, community leaders, elected officials, City management staff, and representatives of public agencies and private organizations.
- Compose, coordinate, and edit a variety of educational, informational, and promotional materials for dissemination and use by Department staff; public and private agencies; news media; schools; and the general public.
- Prepare written analysis, evaluation, summaries, recommendations, correspondence, and reports.
- Research and analyze information and issues; and formulate recommendations on issues, policies, procedures and programs.
- Prepare illustrations, charts, graphs, and other visual aids for presentations.
- Speak in public and before groups.
- Adhere to deadlines, schedules, and legal timelines.
- Assess political environment and develop appropriate communication strategies.
The City of Dublin offers an attractive salary compensation and benefits plan in a professional, growth-oriented environment. The salary range for the COMMUNICATIONS ANALYST position is $8,212 - $10,267 per month. The following benefits will complete the compensation package:
- Classic CalPERS Members – 2.7%@55; EPMC 0%; 7% Cost Sharing; Single Highest Year
- New CalPERS Members Tier effective 1/1/13 – 2.0%@62; 3.05 Cost Sharing; 3-Year Final Avg. Compensation
- Pay-for-Performance system available
- Choice of medical plans through PERS with the City contributing up to $1,780.31 per month; ($1,900 per month beginning January 2021)
- Post-retirement medical provided under Government Code Section 22892(b) as established by the Public Employees’ Medical and Hospital Care Act (PEMHCA) through CalPERS; PEMHCA Minimum.
- City-paid full family dental insurance
- City-paid single vision plan; optional family coverage
- IRS Section 125 plan/$900 annual account seed money (HRA); ($1,000 HRA beginning January 2021)
- City-paid $50,000 term life insurance
- City-paid long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Education reimbursement program
- Wellness reimbursement program $25 per month
- Civic Service Leave (Volunteer time off) – 8 hours per fiscal year
- Thirteen paid holidays (including one floating holiday) per year; (2 Floating Holidays beginning January 2021)
- Administrative Time Off – 40 hours of administrative leave annually, with the option of being paid for up to 20 hours
- Approximately 22 days per year of General Leave in lieu of traditional sick & vacation leave; increases with longevity
In addition to the above benefits, the City offers voluntary participation in a deferred compensation program, short-term disability program, supplemental life insurance, Dependent Care Assistance program and a credit union. The City of Dublin does not participate in the Social Security system except for a mandatory Medicare.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at www.CalOpps.org. Once there, click on “Member Agencies,” “City of Dublin,” then on “Communications Analyst” and “Apply Now.” Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 14, 2020. No faxed or e-mailed applications or postmarks will be accepted.
Please visit https://dublin.ca.gov/1759/Current-Opportunities to view a complete job description